2017-18 St. Catherine of Siena Purple
Student Athletes create a feeling of pride and accomplishment, while promoting teamwork, friendship, discipline, and structure.
With the opportunity to participate on our school's sports teams comes the responsibility of commitment. Attendance at all practices and games must not be viewed as elective. When you join a team, you must be committed to that team above all other activities. You must determine the level of the demands of your current schedule and insure that nothing will interfere with your attendance. Your coaches and teammates are counting on you to be at every practice and game. Please remember that your coaches are giving their time to provide you with the opportunity to have fun, improve skills, stay in shape, and be part of a team. Please respect the coaches, teammates, opponents, team rules, parents, fans, and officials. Our school success depends on you!
Go Purple Knights!
Physical Education Teacher &
Basketball Coach Contact Information
2017-18 St. Catherine of Siena Coaches
3/4th Grade Girls
Patrick Houghton -
Maria Theresa Basco MD -
3/4th Grade Boys
Patrick Dowd -
5/6 Grade Girls
Tim Szulc -
Maria Theresa Basco MD -
5th/6th Grade Boys
Bob Furey -
2017-18 Parish Coaches
5/6th Grade Boys
David Wenger - DavidWenger_2000@yahoo.com
7/8 Grade Boys
David Wenger -
In this space I put a variety of coaching resources that may help you improve your coaching style, techniques and knowledge. If you have suggestions for this resource page, please let me know. With my sincere
thanks and gratitude for your time and talent given to the Purple Knights Basketball program!
John Wooden's Desirable Coaching Traits
From the Coaching Tool Box:
1. Attentiveness to Detail - You must prepare to win in order to be a winner. Failure to prepare is preparing to fail.
2. Impartiality - This is a must, but you must remember that you must not treat everyone alike as they are all different. Give each one the treatment earned and deserved.
3. Teaching Skill - It isn’t enough that you know the game, you must be able to teach it. Follow the laws of learning.
4. Discipline - Most essential for proper concentration and group organization.
5. Affability - The coach must be of an affable disposition because of the various groups with who he must associate.
6. Forcefulness - You must be firm without being bullheaded.
7. Alertness - Constant observation of all going on around and about are necessary for improved learning and decision making.
8. Optimism - The pessimist isn't likely to produce a confident team that will play near to their full capability.
9. Desire to Improve - Lack of ambition will result in complacency and laziness.
10. Vision - A Picture of the possible must be shown to your players to provide a goal for them.
11. Consideration For Others - You must be truly considerate of others if you expect them to be considerate of you. You must listen to them if you want them to listen to you.
12. Resourcefulness - You must be ever ready to make necessary adjustments according to the situation and the personnel that you have available.
13. Cooperativeness - An essential for all who work with others and are dependent on others in various ways.
14. Leadership - Trust be commanded, not demanded. Others are working with you, not for you. Be interested in finding the best way rather than having your own way.
15. Industriousness - There is no substitute for work. Worthwhile things should never be easy to attain.
16. Enthusiasm -If you are to stimulate others, your heart must be in your work. Enthusiasm brushes off upon those with whom you come in contact.
17. Sympathy - You must be truly interested in those under your supervision and be sympathetic with their problems.
18. Self-control - Good judgment must be exercised in your decisions and they must be made through reason not emotion.
19. Sincerity - Insincerity can be spotted very quickly and cause loss of respect.
Here is the link to the John Wooden video interview and other quotes from Coach Wooden on the Coaching Toolbox: _ John Wooden_
Mismatch Etiquette - written for high school teams, but easily adapted for this league
All CYO Coaches are required to
complete Catholic Coaching Essentials. In addition, all new basketball coaches are required to complete Catholic Coaching Basketball Essentials. Please go to: NHCYO.com